Sweltering Summer


The 2021 Dog Years of Summer have officially arrived.  No dog days this year... It's not even July, and it already feels like August football 2-a-days weather out there.  Just nasty, stupid hot.  So hot and humid, the birds are eating my succulents and harassing my tomatoes.

I have had good opportunities recently to put in volunteer hours to maintain my Master Gardener certification.  I've done a pair of Saturday mornings at the Giving Garden at Franklin First United Methodist Church.  Not only is the Giving Garden the closest WCMGA volunteer site to my house, it's also a great way to make my hours mean more.  The 10's of THOUSANDS of pounds of food produced every year at the Giving Garden go to feed people in the community.  I've also had the opportunity to produce a pair of videos featuring the Giving Garden.  Here's one for you.

So what's growing in my garden?  Cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, couple of kinds of peppers, zucchini are all close to producing right now.  Peppers took forever to take off.  Zucchini and squash I started from seed a little late, so they're behind, too.  Tomatoes are growing good, but the pesky birds are knocking off my close to ripe cherry tomatoes.  It's been so dry, the Cardinals are going after my hen and chicks too.  In the last 3 weeks, I think we've had one maybe two good days of rain.  I shudder to think of our water bill this month.

My flowers have been doing really well so far this year.  The daylilies I planted last year came up right on time and are producing well.  I have several different varieties, so some are already done for the year, and others are just getting started.  I started my zinnias late this year, so they're just now starting to come one, but I'm planning to start a second round soon, as my inevitable loss in the Battle of Powdery Mildew will consume my zucchini and squash in about a month.  I scored some $5 gladiolus bulbs from Aldi, and they're producing really well right now.  At that price for 20 bulbs, I figured it was worth taking a chance, and it paid off!

The last little bit of news from the garden is photos!  Our family upgraded cameras in the last few months, and I've been using it a lot.  If you're not following @InNonnasGarden on Instagram, you're missing out!


Comments