Dry

It's been nasty dry for about 3 weeks now.  Thankfully, the weather pattern that kept us so dry and dumped so much water over Oklahoma and other areas has broken.
Pretty flower.  What is it??
But when it's this dry, you don't have to mow as often, and letting things get a little more natural reveals whats in the lawn other than just grass.  Let's just say the squirrels in our neighborhood must have horrible memories, because I've seen a couple dozen sprouted acorns that were buried last fall.  I also had some wildflowers pop up.  In hopes of avoiding a nastygram from the HOA, I mowed this afternoon for the first time in about three weeks, but I left the flowers and a couple of oak seedlings.  The rain we have had in the last 4 days has really gotten the bermuda grass going, so at least something will be green for a while.
Free oak trees!
In the garden, the tomatoes are growing like weeds.  One of the San Marzano plants already has blossoms on it.  The others aren't quite as advanced, but they're growing fast.  Need to work on my staking and supports ASAP.  The cucurbits seem to have transplanted well from their starter pot to the new raised beds.  The beans are really taking off and seem to be close to putting out blossoms.  Cilantro has bolted, and I'm hopeful I caught it in time to keep it productive.  Basil is producing well-- time to make some pesto.

Decorative plants in the back beds are growing well -- especially the free transplants I got from the neighborhood.  The free hostas are close to blooming, and the free echinacea (I think that's what it is?) has flowers that are about to open.  I need to call in some back up to keep the weeds down in the back beds... guess it's time for some chemistry.

Comments