Birmingham

I owe a lot to the Magic City.
Add caption
My wife is from there, though I didn't meet her there.  Years before we met, I spent about a year and a half working in local TV news.

In Birmingham, I lived in a 1950s flat apartment in the bedroom community of Mountain Brook.  It had amazing hardwood floors and a buzzer to ring up guests.  It was a five minute drive from work, walking distance to a grocery store, and, the best part, across the street from the Birmingham Botanical Gardens.

I worked overnights at my job which was convenient for strolling the gardens with even less company than normal.  I would get off at 7:00 a.m., come home and eat some breakfast, and then walk across the street.

One magical morning after about a half inch of snow, I did just that.  My footprints were the first in the snow.


The Birmingham Botanical Gardens has a lot of inspiring areas-- an amazing rose garden, a wonderful tropical greenhouse, natural and wild Alabama woodland, but above all, I remember the remarkable Japanese garden and how it looked in the snow.
Through those Alabama pines...

Comments